1. Few newspapers use color as well as the St. Petersburg Times. I always read the USA Today on Mondays to get a complete read on the sports world, so I get to see, at least once a week, how other papers use color in their papers. And while USA Today seems to use color for color’s sake, the SPT employs color only when needed, but when it does, it illuminates an entire section, such as in:
2. Today’s Tampa Bay section is just glorious. The graphics about telescopes (although I am not sure they belong in this section) are just as much educational as they are interesting. And the section’s back page photos of African-American pastors are captivating.
3. Yet, this section still throws me off every day because of the editorial decision to print entertainment news on 2B. Today’s wierd layout juxtaposition has a headline about the comic ‘Archie’ on 2B while 3B has a story about a murder-suicide. I am launching a personal campaign asking the editors to move the entertainment section off of 2B.
4. Did the Times announce anything about Bill Maxwell’s retirement, other than Deggans’ post in The Feed?
5. Speaking of Deggans, will he return to the editorial board, now that Maxwell has retired?