This morning, I’m thanking God for protecting my family.
We are all okay. Here’s what happened, as explained by my courageous wife, Michelle Todd.
This morning at 3:00 am, I awoke to my husband telling me he believed there was a fire in the walls of our house. We grabbed Ella and called 911. The St. Petersburg Fire Department was amazing and there were 10 firefighters in my house within 3 minutes of that call being placed.
While Peter held Ella outside, I gathered what I deemed important should our house go up in flames: things to make Ella comfortable, her food, medicine, clothes, her favorite blankie, bed, her medical documents (thank you baby briefcase), and some clothes for Peter and I. I remembered our wedding rings; I remembered our marriage license; I remembered Ella’s baby book and our wedding album. I forgot so much more.
Thankfully, the fire department determined the fire started in the electrical panel, and they stopped it there. Our home is still standing and we didn’t lose any belongings.
Most importantly, our beloved daughter wasn’t scared for a moment, and she is safe.
We’re homeless for now, while our home is re-wired. I keep thinking to myself, but for God’s grace this story could have a much different ending. We were supposed to be in Tallahassee celebrating a friend’s child’s 5th birthday. My gut said not to go, and I told Peter we weren’t going. So, we were here to call 911 and save our home from burning to the ground.
Somehow, Peter woke up at 3am to the faint smell of smoke – I believe God woke him up.
It wasn’t too long ago that we put out the request for help for a family that lost everything in a house fire. I said I couldn’t imagine the fear or the devastation of losing everything.
Unfortunately, I now know that fear and my nose will never forget the smell of burning wires and my throat will never forget closing up as I ran through our house trying to collect whatever beloved memories I could should we lose everything.
Thank God we lost nothing. Thank God we’re all safe. Thank God my beautiful baby girl is happily playing with her favorite toy in our hotel room. Thank God for giving my family so many reasons to be grateful today.