Florida’s largest nurse organization released its list of candidate endorsements for the Aug. 26 primary elections.
The Florida Nurses Association Political Action Committee (FNPAC), which represents more than 250,000 registered nurses statewide, announced the recommendation after considering stated candidate positions, interviews and surveys focusing on health care, workforce needs and the nursing profession.
With incumbent legislators, FNPAC also examined voting records for pro-nurse legislation during the 2013 Florida Legislature session.
“These candidates would best support health care policies that would give nurses the ability to practice to the full extent of their education and experience and provide quality care to patients,” said FNPAC President Bonnie Sklaren in a statement.
One of the candidates endorsed by FNPAC is Belita “B” Grassel, a long-time registered nurse who is running to replace term-limited state Rep. Bryan Nelson in House District 31. FNPAC also endorses Democrat George Sheldon in the Democratic primary for Attorney General.
For the Senate, FNPAC is endorsing Republican state Sens. Thad Altman (SD 16) and Jack Latvala (SD 20), as well as Democratic state Sen. Oscar Braynon.
In the House, FNPAC endorses:
- District 5: Brad Drake (R)
- District 6: Jay Trumbull (R)
- District 8: Alan Williams (D)
- District 9: Michelle Rehwinkel Vasilinda (D)
- District 28: Jason Brodeur (R)
- District 31: Belita “B” Grassel (R)
- District 36: Amanda Murphy (D)
- District 40: Colleen Burton (R)
- District 42: Ricardo Rangel (D)
- District 53: Tim Street (R)
- District 61: Sean Shaw (D)
- District 67: Chris Latvala (R)
- District 74: Richard DeNapoli (R)
- District 77: Dane Eagle (R)
- District 96: Kristin Jacobs (D)
- District 100: Joe Geller (D)
- District 107: Barbara Watson (D)
Sklaren added that FNPAC would make another round of endorsements in advance of the November general election.