The start of the 2016 Legislative Session means a cessation of political fundraising – sitting lawmakers are barred from ginning up cash while they legislate.
But session begins Tuesday, so the Monday before is the usual orgy of tippling, grip-and-grinning and check-writing.
House Majority 2016, Senate Majority 2016 and others sent out emails last week detailing the various events, subject to change and cancelation. All locations are in Tallahassee:
- Heather Fitzenhagen, Holly Raschein: 11 a.m. at The Tennyson, Unit 5007, 121 N. Monroe St.
- Kathleen Peters: 11:30 a.m. at 113 E. College Ave., 3rd floor.
- Ben Albritton, Larry Metz, Elizabeth Porter: noon at the Governors Club, 202 S. Adams St. (on the corner of College Avenue).
- Jamie Grant: 4:30 p.m. at the Governors Club.
- Alan Williams, a Tallahassee Democrat who is term-limited as state representative, is having a fundraiser for his run for Leon County Supervisor of Elections, 4:30 p.m. at the Governors Club.
- Paul Renner: 5 p.m. at the Governors Club.
- Colleen Burton, Bob Cortes, Fred Costello, Eric Eisnuagle, Julio Gonzalez, Mike Miller, Mike La Rosa, Scott Plakon, Rene Plasencia: 5:30 p.m. at the Governors Club.
- Also at 5:30 p.m., Senate Majority 2016 is hosting a “Welcome Back Reception” in the downtown Doubletree Hotel ballroom, 101 S. Adams St. (on the corner of Park Avenue). Senate President Andy Gardiner, President-designate Joe Negron, Majority Leader Bill Galvano and Sens. Lizbeth Benacquisto, Anitere Flores and Jack Latvala are the headliners.
- Frank Artiles, Bryan Avila, Mike Bileca, Manny Diaz Jr., Jeanette Nunez, Jose Oliva, Ray Rodrigues, Carlos Trujillo: 7 p.m. at the Governance House, 510 N. Adams St.