Halloween would not be the same without candy, and the most popular holiday treat is chocolate—which is about 72 percent of all Halloween candy sold, according to a National Confectioners Association survey reported in USA Today.
Chocolate sales are rising, with more than $12.6 billion sold in the past year, up 3.8 percent from the year before.
Research marketing company Information Resources found Americans spent nearly $3.9 billion last year, buying 3.5 billion chocolate bars, bags and boxes smaller than 3.5 ounces, the most popular size at the grocery checkout lines.
Reese’s and M&M’s are the top two candies, each surpassing $500 million in sales.
According to USA Today, the top ten American Halloween candy:
- Reese’s — $509.85 million sales/407.44 million units
- M&M’s — $500.82 million sales/438.18 million units
- Snickers — $456.91 million sales/412.81 million units
- Hershey’s – $326.63 million sales/308.42 million units
- Kit Kat — $306.51 million sales/275.88 million units
- Twix 4 To Go — $116.13 million sales/74.49 million units
- 3 Musketeers — $101.27 million sales/90.79 million units
- Hershey’s Cookies ‘N’ Crème — $100.70 million sales/98.92 million units
- Milky Way — $93.46 million Sales/90.83 million units
- Almond Joy — $82.25 million sales/79.39 million units
Data from IRI, a Chicago-based market research firm, determined the top selling U.S. chocolate brands during the 52 weeks ending September 8.