Scott does not plan to make a public pronouncement that his rejection is final, spokesman Brian Hughes said Thursday evening, because the governor’s position has not changed since he rejected $2.4 billion in federal high-speed rail money last week.
“The governor remained principled in his position in protecting Florida taxpayers,” Hughes said.
Although today is the deadline given to rail advocates to save the funding, Scott, is not under any deadline or timetable, he added.
However, State Sen. Thad Altman, R-Melbourne, said Thursday he asked U.S. transportation secretary Ray LaHood to give Florida evenmore time to challenge Scott on state constitutional grounds for the governor’s “unilateral rejection.”
“Clearly I believe Scott is operating beyond his executive authority,” saidAltman who has worked on high