Rick Scott takes his act to WashingtonĀ on Wednesday, where the Florida GovernorĀ hopesĀ to rally members of Congress to approve President Obama’s request for $1.9 billion to combat the spread of the virus.
So what is the hold-up? The virus seems to only be getting greater penetration into the U.S.Ā Ā On Monday, theĀ Florida Department of Health announcedĀ two new travel-related cases of Zika in Florida. The new cases ā found in Orange and Pinellas counties ā bring the total number of cases in Florida to 107.Ā The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has reported more than 470 cases in the continental U.S., all associated with travel to Zika-affected areas.
According to theĀ Associated Press,Ā Republicans from states at greatest risk, such as Florida, Texas, Louisiana and Georgia, have been reluctant to endorse Obama’s request for $1.9 billion to battle the virus. “GOP lawmakers said they haven’t heard from many constituents, though they said that could change.”
Not every Florida Republican feels that way.
āThereās a reason why the public has lost confidence in Washington āĀ and this is the latest example,āĀ Sarasota Congressman Vern BuchananĀ said last week.Ā āInstead of working together to protect Americans, Washington has descended into another partisan fight, with both parties blaming each other for inaction on a growing and deadly health threat.ā
Among the reasons Republicans are balking is that the request for the $1.9 billion is āsupplementalā funding āĀ that is, an emergency request that goes outside of the regular process for appropriation bills, and generally not subject to budget caps.Ā House Majority LeaderĀ Kevin McCarthyĀ saidĀ lastĀ monthĀ the administration could use some of the leftover money in existing accounts to combat Ebola to address immediate needs with Zika, saying, āthere is enough money there, especially to deal with this year.ā
The White House has already moved to redirect $589 million in existing funds to Zika, most of it from Ebola responseĀ programs. Funds were also taken from other emergency preparedness programs,Ā which hasĀ state and local jurisdictions warning that they may be unable to address other non-Zika threats. But their request forĀ $1.9 billion has gone nowhere in both the House and the Senate.
In other news…
Meet Joseph “JB” Benshimen,Ā a new resident of Pinellas County who is running as a Republican in the HD 68 seat.
Gene SiudutĀ becomes the second candidate to officially file to run in the special District 7 Tampa City Council election later this year.
Kathleen PetersĀ reported her fundraising total for April for her HD 69 reelection bid.
The Florida SEIU has endorsed Patrick MurphyĀ in the U.S. Senate race.
And a host of advocacy groups, led by Equality Florida, areĀ calling on the Marion County School Board to repeal its controversial bathroom bill regarding transgendered people.