Pete Souza’s photo of President Obama and his national-security team in the White House Situation Room watching the Osama bin Laden raid has been thoroughlymemeified since its release.
Now comes the ultimate Situation Room meme via The Atlantic, featuring the national-security players as superheroes. Drawn mainly from the Marvel and D.C. Comics universes, the unsigned photoshop showcases some surprisingly apt casting — as well as some heroes known only to the hardcore. We are told!
The team and the corresponding superhero identities, starting from the left for each row as withthe Atlantic’s original numbering:
1. Vice President Biden as The Flash
2. President Obama as Captain America
3. Air Force Brigadier General Marshall Webb, Assistant Commanding General, Joint Special Operations Command, as Superman
4. Deputy National Security Advisor Denis McDonough asGreen Lantern
5. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton as Wonder Woman
6. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates asMartian Manhunter
7. Admiral Mike Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, as Spider-Man
8. National Security Adviser Thomas Donilon as Batman
9. Chief of Staff William Daley asSpawn
10. Antony Blinken, National Security Adviser to Vice President Biden, asThe Crow
11. Audrey Tomason, the National Security Council’s Director for Counterterrorism, as Catwoman.
12. John Brennan, Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism asCaptain Marvel (with Kree DNA).
13. Director of National Intelligence James Clapper as possibly theCartoon Network version of Robin, or maybe just a guy in sunglasses.