To advocate in front of the Florida Legislature, it is good to have some big Republican names on your side. The six-person PooleMcKinley high-quality lobbyist lineup includes:
- Firm founder, former Republican state Sen. Van Poole
- Will McKinley, a past Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Department of Professional Regulation for Gov. Bob Martinez
- Angela Dempsey, who previously served as Florida Gov. Rick Scott’s Legislative Affairs Director
- Vice President Fred Dickinson, who spent more than two decades in Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, as executive director
- County government specialist Sophie Smith
- Consultant Frank Gernert
Together, the PooleMcKinley team, formerly Dutko Poole McKinley, posted estimated compensation in the second quarter 2014 of just under $1 million — $479,966 in legislative fees and $519,964 in executive. These numbers represent an increase of $60K over the previous quarter, and roughly the same as Q2 last year. Total year-to-date compensation now runs at nearly $2 million.
PooleMcKinley currently boasts a roster of 36 legislative and 39 executive clients.
Florida law requires lobbying firms to file quarterly compensation reports; identifying clients and amounts they receive. However, unlike the federal lobbyists, which are required to report exact figures – state lobbyist disclosures are limited to broad dollar ranges.
The firm’s top six legislative customers—all within the $10,000 to $19,999 range — include:
- Magellan Behavioral Health of Florida, Inc.
- Motion Picture Association of America
- Seminole Tribe of Florida
- Ignition interlock devices and home alcohol monitoring systems manufacturer Smart Start, Inc
- United Technologies Corporation
- Univision Communications Inc.
On the executive side of the PooleMcKinley ledger is an even more diverse group— with a few Fortune 500 names to boot. The top 10 provided between $10,000 and $19,999 each:
- Management consulting, technology services and outsourcing company Accenture LLP
- Texas-based pawnshop firm Cash America International, Inc.
- Infrastructure engineering and architecture firm CDR Maguire
- Colonial Management Group, LP
- Connections Education
- Florida Community Financial Services Association, Inc
- General Motors LLC
- Automated commissary management services firm Keefe Commissary Network
- System controls integrator provider kW Control