Stonewall Democrats of Pinellas County released its list of endorsements for the Florida House, Senate and various local races in the November 2014 elections.
Each of the chosen candidates took the time to meet with the Stonewall Political Action Committee, and voiced substantial support for equality and LGBT-related issues. The endorsements came after a vote during the group’s June 20 membership meeting.
Created in 2004, SDPC is a group of equality-minded Democrats working to promote equality for all people, regardless of sexual orientation, gender expression, or gender identity.
Pinellas County Stonewall Democrats are endorsing incumbent state Reps. Carl Zimmermann (HD 65), Dwight Dudley (HD 68) and Darryl Rouson (HD 70).
Three other non-incumbents are also on the ballot:
- Judithanne McLauchlan, who faces Republican State Sen. Jeff Brandes in SD 22.
- Lorena Grizzle, who faces state Rep. Larry Ahern in HD 66.
- Scott Orsini, who is up against state Rep. Kathleen Peters in HD 69.
In Pinellas County Commission races, SDPC is throwing its support behind:
- Pat Gerard, County Commissioner, Dist. 2
- Mark Weinkrantz, County Commissioner, Dist. 4
- Julie Bujalski for Dunedin Mayor
- Deborah Kynes, Dunedin City Commission
- Michael Smith, Largo City Commissioner, Seat 1
- Samantha Fenger, Largo City Commissioner, Seat 3
For the county School Board races:
- Kent Curtis, School Board, Dist. 3
- Linda Lerner, School Board, Dist. 6
- Rene Flowers, School Board, Dist. 7
Stonewall Democrats are also recommending Steve Sarnoff and Shawna Vercher, two candidates who are facing off in the Democratic primary for House District 67. They will offer final endorsements after August 26, to be the candidate facing the winner of the Republican primary, which will either be Christopher Shepard or Chris Latvala.