During a morning swim at a Brandon LA Fitness, two patrons were harmed when poisonous chlorine gas was discharged into the pool.
Around 6:20 a.m. Dec. 14, 2015, William Cordova was in the pool when the gas began coming out of the pool jets. The gas came without warning, he says.
Cordova claims to have suffered serious injuries in his eyes, skin, respiratory passages, lungs and ears.
The gas was described as a “yellow-colored substance,” presumably chlorine gas. Hillsborough fire crews responded to the incident.
Cordova is now suing the Irvine, California-based LA Fitness, and the pool maintenance company, Sharper Image Pools of Tampa, for negligence. Because he was subjected to dangerous conditions, he is seeking damages more than $15,000 for hospitalization, medical costs, loss of earnings, and loss of ability to earn money.
LA Fitness and Sharper Image, allegedly, planned, controlled and maintained the pool. The gym owed its patrons a duty to protect them from dangerous conditions.
The LA Fitness in question is located at 2890 Providence Lakes Blvd. in Brandon.
According to iClubs.com, two similar incidents occurred in Georgia and Connecticut.
News Channel 8 reported: “Two people were transported to a hospital after too much chlorine was put in a pool at the Brandon LA Fitness health club …”