Tampa's Alan Clendenin announces he will seek to lead Florida Democrats

in Uncategorized by

Alan Clendenin, Democratic National Committeeman and Hillsborough County State Committeeman in announcing today he would seek to lead the Florida Democratic Party issued the following statement.

“On the evening of November 6, 2012, Floridians from Escambia to Monroe County celebrated what will be seen as the day Florida political tides shifted from red to blue. November 7, 2012 our focus shifted from Washington to Tallahassee. For the next two years we will be laser focused on Rick Scott’s poor performance as governor.

The Democratic 2012 playbook, infrastructure, and volunteers demonstrated Florida Democrats are prepared to out-register, out-perform and out Rick Scott in two years.

As an air traffic controller for over 30 years, I know a little something about getting from point A to point B. In 2014 we will help Rick Scott’s private jet depart Tallahassee for the last time. I am ready to lead our state with a vision and a plan to rebrand, rebuild and recruit for a stronger and more competitive Florida Democratic Party, a party ready to compete and win in every county”.

The Florida Democratic Party needs an individual who is fully committed to taking the reins as a full-time chair. Republicans aren’t working part-time on their attack plan, and neither should we. We need a leader with the energy and drive to give it everything they’ve got, seven days a week, 365 days a year.  We need a Party Chair ready, willing and able to provide the leadership to rebrand, rebuild and recruit for our future.”

The Florida Democratic Party State Executive Committee will hold an organizational meeting called by the current Chair, Rod Smith.  The State Committeeman and woman elected in each of Florida’s 67 counties, the current Florida Democratic Party Officers and current Democratic National Committee members will cast approximately 89% of the weighted vote. The Democratic members of the U.S. House and Senate, and the Democratic Minority Leaders of the Florida House and Senate cast the remaining 11%.

Peter Schorsch is the President of Extensive Enterprises and is the publisher of some of Florida’s most influential new media websites, including SaintPetersBlog.com, FloridaPolitics.com, ContextFlorida.com, and Sunburn, the morning read of what’s hot in Florida politics. SaintPetersBlog has for three years running been ranked by the Washington Post as the best state-based blog in Florida. In addition to his publishing efforts, Peter is a political consultant to several of the state’s largest governmental affairs and public relations firms. Peter lives in St. Petersburg with his wife, Michelle, and their daughter, Ella.