White House press secretary Jay Carney said Monday that Senator Marco Rubio’s plan for a 10- to 13-year path to citizenship for illegal immigrants is “consistent” with President Obama’s principles, suggesting he would sign off on it, reports POLITICO.
Carney cautioned that the White House would reserve judgment until seeing the final language, but said that what has been reported so far “is consistent with the president’s position.”
Rubio said on CNN’s “State of the Union with Candy Crowley” on Sunday that under an immigration reform plan he is brokering with other members of the so-called Gang of 8, immigrants will have to be in the system for more than a decade before they can apply for citizenship. In addition, a series of triggers would have to be met separately: border security would have to be enhanced, a national employer-verification system created and a system put in place to track foreigners who have overstayed their visas.
“For those who are undocumented in this country, not only will they have to wait 10 years — more than 10 years — but they will have to wait until all three of those things are fully implemented,” Rubio said
Carney said the president also favors enhanced border security and employer verification, as well as “a number of very specific steps” along the path to citizenship, including paying taxes and a potential fine, learning English and going to the back of the line of immigrants seeking citizenship — a process that could take years, perhaps as long as Rubio has predicted.
“What we have seen thus far…is in keeping with those basic principles,” Carney said, adding that the administration is “encouraged” by progress being made by Rubio and the Gang of Eight. “Again, we’ll look at the legislation when it arrives, but…it sounds like that is the path they are taking as well.”