The much-hyped Health Care Affordability Summit makes its debut today at the Marriott Orlando World Center, bookending a health care-heavy week for Florida.
At the summit, health care and legislative heavy hitters will discuss the current state of Florida’s health care delivery system and the many issues lawmakers and industry leaders need to address before considering proposals to effect any changes to the current system. Lawmakers participating in the summit include Senators Aaron Bean, chair of the Senate Health Policy Committee, Denise Grimsley, chair of the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Health & Human Services and Joe Negron, chair of the Senate Committee on Appropriations and Senate Select Committee on Patient Protection & Affordable Care Act, as well as Representatives Richard Corcoran, chair of the House Health & Human Services Committee, Matt Hudson, chair of the House Health Care Appropriations Subcommittee and John Wood, chair of the House Health & Human Services Committee.
Almost mirroring their roles of overseeing health care policy and reform proposals during the upcoming Legislative Session, confirmed legislators will serve as moderators for the different discussion panels during the summit, which will feature industry leaders ranging from national health care insurers, policy reform think tanks and medical doctors, to representatives from higher education institutions and national telecommunication corporations. Among the highlights of the summit will be the keynote address from Congressman Tom Price (R-GA), who will provide much-relevant insight as to the state of health care in Washington. Also delivering a keynote address will be Nationally-Recognized Health Care Quality Expert and President of Health Care Quality Advisors, LLC Michael Millenson, and Vice President of Health & Wellness Payer Relations for Wal-Mart Marcus Osborne.
I will be live tweeting throughout the summit to relay up-to-the-minute news and comments by participants and moderators alike.
Here are five programming items which make me look forward to the Summit:
- Keynote address from Congressman Price – what is the latest from Washington on health care and what that means for Florida’s next steps.
- “Modernizing Health Care” and the participation of AT&T’s Chief MIO Geeta Nayyar – what do industry leaders foresee in the world of medical innovations and how communications and new media will play a role in advancements in medicine and the future of health care?
- Key legislative chairs will participate as moderators for the discussion panels – will this be a “preview” of their leadership roles during the upcoming legislative session?
- “Health Care Solutions from the Private Sector” Panel – what are Florida businesses most concerned about when it comes to the future of health care, growing a business and creating jobs?
- The Millenson & Osborne Perspectives – Correlations between the point of view of an independent health quality expert and advisor, and Wal-Mart’s VP of Health & Wellness Payer Relations when it comes to creating access to quality health care.