There will be no medical miracle, at least not in the immediate future.
Cornerback C.J. Wilson, who lost two fingers in a fireworks’ accident earlier this month, has been placed on the reserved/retired list by the Tampa Bay Bucs.
“We know this process has been difficult for C.J. and respect his decision to step away from football,” Tampa Bay general manager Jason Licht said. “We are grateful for the contributions he has made to the Bucs and wish him the best as he focuses on his health and recovery.”
Wilson’s agents, Joel and Justin Turner, said in a statement: “On behalf of C.J., he has decided to step away from the NFL at this time to focus on his immediate needs in his recovery which are the foundation of his long-term health.
When C.J. is fully healed and able to return to the game, he will then continue his career. We would like to send our sincere appreciation to the Tampa Bay organization these last few weeks along with their continued efforts to assist C.J. C.J. is in in good spirits and is continuing to focus on his rehab and the healing of his hand. We look forward to seeing him play again in the future.”
After years of the NFL having its players avoid July 4 accidents, this summer there were two players involved. The other was New York Giants’ defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul, who is trying to play this season.