Veterans on the job hunt tune in: On Friday, May 10, at ten locations across Florida, “Paychecks for Patriots” hiring fairs will be held bringing together more than 115 employers with immediate career opportunities to connect with veterans and their families.
The program, started by Gov. Rick Scott, is a joint initiative between the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity, the Florida Department of Veterans’ Affairs, Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) and the Florida National Guard.
Staff from these agencies will assist in matching veterans and their families with employers who value the knowledge and skills attained during military service.
Governor Scott said, “Paychecks for Patriots Day is a valuable opportunity to demonstrate support for veterans transitioning to civilian life with a new job. We all owe our veterans a debt of gratitude, and we want every veteran to have an opportunity to pursue their dreams here in Florida.”
Florida is home to nearly a quarter million veterans who served in Iraq and Afghanistan.
While some return to Florida colleges and universities using the Post 9/11 Bill, others are looking for meaningful employment,” said The Adjutant General of Florida Maj. Gen. Emmett Titshaw Jr. “This 10-city veteran hiring initiative goes a long way to helping our returning veterans.”
Among the private employers represented at the hiring fairs include Allstate insurance, Aramark, AT&T, BAE Systems, Best Buy, Corrections Corporation of America, CVS, Cracker Barrel, Dollar General, HCA, Home Depot, Lockheed Martin, Lowes, Ritz Carlton, Sears, USFoods, Walmart, Wells Fargo, and more than 85 others
“Paychecks for Patriots” hiring fair locations include:
- Ft. Walton Beach – One Step Closer Center, 409 NE Racetrack Rd., NE
- Lake City – American Legion Post #56, 2602 SW Main Boulevard
- Gainesville – Freedom Community Center, 7400 SW 41st Place
- Orange City – One-Step Closer Center, 846 Saxon Blvd
- Leesburg – National Guard Armory, 400 West Meadow Street
- Orlando – National Guard Armory, 2809 South Ferncreek Avenue
- New Port Richey – One-Step Closer Center, 4440 Grand Blvd
- Sebring – One- Step Closer Center, 5901 U.S. South 27
- Dania Beach – Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Airport Hotel, 1825 Griffin Road
- Miami – Florida International University, 11200 SW 8th Street
Veterans or their family members who are unable to attend a fair can view and apply for available positions online at www.employflorida.com. More information is also available at www.floridajobs.org/calendar.