Architects, designers and construction crews are working at a fever pitch, transforming Jannus Landing into Jannus Live, a much-improved version of the much-loved live music venue in downtown St. Petersburg. The ambitious project has been undertaken by the venue’s new owners, Knight Global Entertainment, a partnership between Bay area businessmen Jeff Knight and Bill Edwards.
Concertgoers can expect the same overall vibe that endeared Jannus Landing to the scene since the mid 1980s, but will also enjoy vastly improved sound, lighting, amenities and bar service. Here are some highlights:
• A new stage is being built, which will be framed by a wrought-iron rig that will hold the new P.A. and lighting system, both state of the art.
• The old “circus tent,” with its poles that obstructed views, is being replaced by a larger covering that allows for greatly improved sightlines.
• Actual restrooms are being built: 27 stalls for women, a full complement of stalls and urinals for men, both of which are indoors and air-conditioned.
• A new patio bar is being built in the courtyard’s southwest corner. It will be augmented by several mobile bar stations, providing easy access to patrons throughout the venue.
• Eight VIP Suites will ring the venue’s balcony level, outfitted with funky furniture, wood floors, a bar top, mini-fridge and flat-screen TV. Suites will be available for single-show or multi-show rentals. VIPs will have access to a common lounge with a full bar and food (offered as part of the Suite price).
• A floor-level VIP section will feature a Plexiglas-covered Koi pond that people can stand (or dance) on.
• The walls are being re-stucco’d and repainted, with a vibrant new color scheme.
• The courtyard floor has been smoothed out and will be resurfaced.
Given all the upgrades, Knight Global Entertainment decided a new name was appropriate, one that recognizes and respects the history of the venue, while signaling to concertgoers that it’s a new era. Ownership looks forward to Jannus Live reclaiming its place as one of the busiest and highly regarded concert venues in Florida.