As the Extraordinary Apportionment Session moves forward this week, the Senate will post subsequent proposed amendments to the state senate map here.. Two new amendments, 9018 and 9020 were filed today.
Essentially, Sen. Jack Latvala has taken the Gaetz map and improved upon it in Orlando and southwest Florida (plan 9018).
Other quick impressions of Latvala’s proposal:
- Sen. Latvala must be looking at some sort of functional analysis that provides evidence of the need to draw both Orlando minority seats the way they were originally drawn with a few minor exceptions, which in turn permits surrounding districts to be less visually compact.
- The Bill Galvano-Denise Grimsley issue (which I describe in a separate post) has been worked out.
- Fort Myers and the Panhandle are redrawn to reflect the Supreme Court’s recommendation, which begs the question, if you couldn’t have a beach district in the Panhandle, how can Joe Negron have one on the East Coast?
- Jacksonville is fixed, creating ripples throughout northeast Florida.
- Chris Smith‘s seat has yet to be “fixed.”
Am I missing anything?