The progressive groups suing Rick Scott will get till next Thursday to respond to his request to toss out a lawsuit that aims to stop the Republican governor from appointing three Supreme Court justices on his last day in office.
The Florida Supreme Court gave theĀ League of Women Voters of FloridaĀ (LWVF) andĀ Common CauseĀ till Aug. 10 to file a reply, according to a Monday order.
Scott said the lawsuit should be rejected because it deals with something that may or may not happen in 2019.Ā Age limits could force three justices to retire on the day Scott leaves office in January 2019. Heās term limited next year.
Scott has said he plans to name the replacements forĀ the courtās liberal-leaning trioĀ of JusticesĀ R. Fred Lewis,Ā Barbara ParienteĀ andĀ Peggy A. QuinceĀ that same morning.
The organizations filed a petition for āwrit of quo warranto,ā a court action against government officials to demand they prove their authority to perform a certain action.
Scott canāt replace those justices because heāll be out of office earlier on the same day all three retire, and their terms last till midnight, the groups have argued.Ā The Supreme Court, in a 2006 advisory opinion, said appellate vacancies may be filled by aĀ governor only āupon the expiration of the term of the judge or justice.ā
The petitionersĀ also include LWVF PresidentĀ Pamela Goodman, formerĀ LWVF presidentĀ Deirdre Macnab, andĀ Liza McClenaghan, the state chair of Common Cause Florida.Ā Theyāre represented by Tallahassee attorneysĀ John S. MillsĀ andĀ Thomas D. Hall, a former Clerk of the Florida Supreme Court.
(Background from The Associated Press, reprinted with permission.)