Scott: State weighing moves in voter purge

in Uncategorized by

The state is still weighing its next moves in an attempt to remove suspected non-citizens from the voting rolls, Gov. Rick Scott said Monday via the News Service of Florida. In an interview with Fox News, Scott said the state would probably decide this week what the “next step” in the case would be. The statement comes despite assurances last week to a federal judge that the state had halted the program, which sends names of suspected non-citizens to local elections officials. U.S. District Judge Robert Hinkle rejected a request from the federal government to bar the state from taking any more steps, but said his ruling was driven in part by assurances from the state that it would not forward any more names to county elections supervisors. “One message I did want to send along is, I’m still here,” Hinkle said. In the TV interview, Scott also rejected arguments that the purge amounts to voter suppression. “I want everybody to vote … but only U.S. citizens,” he said.

Peter Schorsch is the President of Extensive Enterprises and is the publisher of some of Florida’s most influential new media websites, including SaintPetersBlog.com, FloridaPolitics.com, ContextFlorida.com, and Sunburn, the morning read of what’s hot in Florida politics. SaintPetersBlog has for three years running been ranked by the Washington Post as the best state-based blog in Florida. In addition to his publishing efforts, Peter is a political consultant to several of the state’s largest governmental affairs and public relations firms. Peter lives in St. Petersburg with his wife, Michelle, and their daughter, Ella.