FSU isn’t just about offense.
Yes, the school has brought us Charlie Ward and Warrick Dunn and Ron Sellers, Peter Warrick and Chris Weinke and Dalvin Cook. But when it comes time to stopping the other team, the Seminoles have been excellent, too. You could build an argument that a Mount Rushmore of defensive players would be even more impressive than an offensive one.
Here in the Defenders week at the St. PetersBlog, we pose the question. Who are the best 10 defensive players in FSU history?
10. Corey Simon, DT (1996-1999): Simon was the inspirational leader of the undefeated national champions. He was the sixth overall pick of the Philadelphia Eagles.
9. Peter Boulware, DE: (1993-1996): Boulware holds the season sack mark for the Seminoles with 19. ACC defensive player of the year in 1996.
8. Terrell Buckley, DB: (1989-1991): Held the record for FSU interceptions and won the Jim Thorpe award. Eighth in the Heisman voting, and the fifth overall pick of the Packers.
7. Pat McGowan, LB (1985-1987): Won the Butkus Award as a senior. He had 150 tackles. He went on to play in the World League, the Canadian and the Arena League, but remains the only Butkus winner never to play in the NFL. A fine college player, though.
6. Leroy Butler, DB (1987-1989): Butler was solid at FSU before his long career with the Packers. Led the nation in interception return yardage as a senior. Six-time Pro Bowler.
5. Marvin Jones, LB (1990-1992): In 1992, he won both the Butkus and Lombardi awards for FSU. Was the fourth overall pick of the New York Jets.
4. Jalen Ramsey, DB (2012-2015): Ramsey is just getting his NFL career started, but he was a beast in college. He was second and ninth in passes defensed his last two years. He was picked fifth by Jacksonville.
3. Ron Simmons, DT (1977-1980): A two-time All-American who finished ninth in the Heisman Trophy voting in 1979.
2. Derrick Brooks, LB (1991-1994): A two-time All-American who was a No. 1 draft pick of the Tampa Bay Bucs. Reached the Hall of Fame with Tampa Bay.
1. Deion Sanders, DB (1985-1988): Sanders was a two-time All-American who was eighth in the Heisman in 1988. A No. 1 draft pick by Atlanta who is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.